If you don't have a favourite scone recipe then here's a quick and easy recipe that Yummy Things Raspberry Jam turns into a teatime treat:
225g/8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
25g/1oz caster sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk
1 free range egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 220c/425/Gas7.
- Lighlty grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.
- Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.
- Turn out on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly.
- Pat out to a round 2cm/3/4in thick. Use a 5cm/2in cutter to press out rounds and place on a baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and press out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve with butter or cream and generous helpings of Yummy Things Raspberry Jam!