If you don’t have a favourite Victoria Sponge Cake recipe then here’s a Lorraine Pascale one that is a current favourite. However, dressing it with Yummy Things handmade Jam is the key to giving any Victoria Sponge Cake the edge.
200g/7oz butter softened
200g/7oz caster sugar
Seeds of half a vanilla pod or 2 drops of vanilla extract
200g/7oz plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1-2 tbsp warm water, if required
5-6 tbsp Yummy Things Strawberry Jam
300ml /11 fl oz double cream
30g / 1 ¼oz icing sugar plus extra for sprinkling
Seeds of ½ vanilla pod or 2 drops of vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark4. Grease the cake tins and line the bases with baking paper. Put the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and beat together well. Add 2 eggs, the vanilla and half the flour and beat well. Add the other 2 eggs, the rest of the flour and the baking powder and beat. If the mixture is stiff add the warm water.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared tins and level the tops with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the sides of the sponge have shrunk slightly from the side of the tin, the sponge springs back slightly when pressed and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave the sponges to cool in the tin.
- Once the sponges are completely cool, remove them from the tin and place on a serving dish. Spread one sponge with the Yummy Things Strawberry Jam.
- Put the cream, icing sugar and vanilla in a large bowl and whip until thick. Dollop the whipped cream mixture on top of the Yummy Things jam, then put the other sponge on top and sprinkle with some icing sugar.
- Serve with a hot cup of Earl Grey Tea